Friday, April 2, 2010

Days Four and Five







I still haven't bought a hairbrush. I might go to the outdoor market today and see if I can find a cheap one, along with some t-shirts. I definitely did not bring enough clothes with me, and the tiny little bathroom sink at my house is not clothes-washing-sized.

Yesterday was my last day of classes for the week, giving me some time to take a break and process what I have learned. I haven't sat down to review yet, but I think that things are going well and I should have no problem passing SIT's oral Spanish test when I get back (likely the first week in May). While I had planned on going to Lake Atitlan for a week to study, I think I might just keep plugging in Antigua with trips to different places on weekends. It's funny how easy it is to fill up a month - plenty of people have asked me if I plan on going various places both inside and outside Guatemala, but I don't feel like I have time to get far from Antigua. I am definitely going to go to Pacaya (volcano with active flows) and hopefully some place people have been talking about with caves and hang-gliding for $70.

After class and lunch yesterday, I joined the British roommate for hours and hours of beers in a hole-in-the-wall locals bar. We talked to a bunch of people, but I think the best conversation was when I was trying to ask a half-drunk Guatemalan if there is a re-enactment of the crucifixion with real people and he though I was asking if Jesus himself was coming to town. We went home for dinner, and then three of us went back to the previous bar for a few more drinks, and then to a park for some street food. I had these amazing churro type things that were a cross between churros, fried dough, and vanilla cake, topped with some chocolate sauce. And all that goodness for about 60 cents!

Today, I woke up at 5:30 to see some processions and some carpets made from sawdust in the street and a model of Jesus' body in a glass coffin in a giant church. And all of these things happen with a giant volcano in the background! This afternoon I might take a nap, and tonight, heading to see The Hangover with some English-speaking folks from various countries. What culture!!!

To those of you asking for photos, I haven't figured out how to make that happen yet. I'm taking them, but I haven't brought my camera cord with me to an Internet place yet...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome K!!!! It sounds like you are haveing an amazing time!! You need to find out how to make those dessert things you had in the park!! Keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for photos - It sounds like everything is very festive!

    If I came, I would most want to visit ruins. I hope you get to do that, so you can tell me about it, and show me lots of pictures.

    I hope you get a brush. The hair might get a little scary...

    Love,
    Yo momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy your hair brush crazy girl! If you can spend $70 on hang gliding and $34 on the gym, you can spend $5.50 on a hair brush :-P

    ReplyDelete