Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spanish Conversations


I can definitely understand a lot more Spanish than I can express myself, but things are coming along. Today, I had a conversation with a Guatemalan woman about the crazy things that happen in relationships and between couples - things that make daily life seem like a soap opera. She relayed a story about her married neighbors, jealousy (not sure if there was an actual affair or not), and a young guy getting his head bashed in by the husband´s hammer. She then confided that she doesn´t like her husband and hasn´t liked him for a long time. Many years ago, she tried to divorce him, but her particularly religious family didn´t accept that. Now, she lives in her village, and he lives in the city, visiting his 10 year old son for two hours every other week. But they are still married. She says she doesn´t need another man.


Points being, all of the world has the same problems, and I am the best Spanish-language listener ever!!! I have also, more than once, had an in depth conversation about people eating meat (including their pets). Because apparently, when someone shares with you that they are a vegetarian, that is an invitation to share your own love for animals - on your plate!!! Bambi and Thumper both came up, along with other bunny rabbits, overly-fat chickens, and the beautiful fish in the sea. To be fair, the last was brought up by the mothr at my house, who said that she doesn't like to eat fish because they are too pretty. But Bambi - - BANG!BANG!MMM.


Being here, there are a couple things that I miss, and some things that I do not miss at all. I miss my cell phone, mostly for text messages (I think I feel it vibrating in my bag or pocket all the time), but I do not miss my computer. I am able to check my email often enough, and Facebook is starting to bore me. I don't miss tv at all, and I can go to the movies if I want to sit back and just watch something. The movie theater in Antigua is like the cinema pub in Falmouth, and it's free! Beers start at about $2.50. Another thing that I do miss - flat, flip-flop worthy streets. ALL of the streets here are cobblestone, and not the particularly flat kind, and the sidewalks are where the man-hole covers are. Also, homes in Antigua have a strange feature where the front living room is also a potential garage, so every entranceway is a 45 degree ramp so people can bring their cars, scooters, and motorcycles inside if they don't have somewhere else to park them. I will try to get some pictures of the streets, sidewalks, and entranceways while I am here, preferably before I break my face and I am thumping down the cobblestone in a wheelchair.


I am not sure if I mentioned the two French Canadian ladies who moved into my homestay. They have very strong French accents and don't speak much English, but we can converse in Spanish fairly well. It is very odd to hear Spanish words with a thick French accent though.
Can you see what it says under the picture of the pancakes?

4 comments:

  1. One thing is for sure, we all have the same problems!! Where were you when you had the conversation with the women? I mean, was she a clerk or waitress somewhere, or just a friendly face on the cobblestone streets? It's funny that she shared all the with you, she must have felt very comfortable in your presence. Probably because you speak Spanish so well!!! ;O)

    It's funny how when you express a personal preference people will feel the need to open up about how much they don't share that preference!! "I like red, it's my favorite." "I like blue better than red. Red is the color of … and I don't like …" Just an observation!! I also find in funny that you feel your cell phone going off. We get so attached to those stupid things. TV is overrated! Rhea and I are canceling cable once the kid gets here. It numbs your brain, even history channel and discover show garbage. Free movies! Dude, what movies are they showing? Are they new or older?

    Good luck with class this week K. If there's anything you need feel free to email us. I can't wait to see more pictures!!

    Later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, there's nothing a pancake brunch can't cure. Is there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hangovers? Wow! Who knew?

    It sounds like you are better at the language than you give yourself credit for. Those conversations sound very detailed. And you haven't even done a whole week of classes!

    Tell us about your classes. Do you just sit and converse, or do you have actual lessons? Do you do any reading, or is it all oral?

    Keep writing! It's so fun to read. I do miss talking to you, though... wish you had a phone.

    I love you, sweetie. Have fun, and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K ind of like a superstar
    A ndale! Andale!
    T oken blue eyes in brown eyed ville -sssohot-
    R rrrrrr
    I MISS HAVING YOU PHONE ACCESSIBLE!!
    N obody's bitch.
    A ntipasto

    ReplyDelete